A Day of Appalachian Authors
Saturday, June 9 Appalachian Lifestyles Festival
The Downtown Waynesville Association is sponsoring the second annual Appalachian Lifestyle Celebration, Saturday, June 9, 2012 on Main Street. In the interest of protecting and preserving Appalachian traditions, this event will be a celebration of traditional mountain craft, food, and entertainment. Blue Ridge Books will feature a day of author presentations in the bookstore and will have a booth on Main Street that will feature many of our regional titles.
- 11:00 a.m.—Joan Routh: a local storyteller who shares the Jack Tales. She will be lots of fun for both kids and adults!
- 12:00 p.m. – Michael Beadle : the author of Haywood County and co-author of Waynesville, both of which are part of the Images of America series. Learn the story behind the photographs in the books!
- 1:00 p.m. – Don Dudenbostel with Tom Wilson Jester: the photographer and the author of the new Popcorn Sutton book, Popcorn Sutton: the Making and Marketing of a Hillbilly Hero. Learn what it was like to talk, photograph, and interact with Popcorn Sutton.
- 2:00 p.m. – Bob Plott: the author of Strike & Stay: the Story of the Plott Hound, Legendary Hunters of the Southern Highlands, Colorful Characters of the Great Smoky Mountains, and A History of Hunting in the Great Smoky Mountains will share his knowledge of Appalachian history.
- 3:00 p.m. – Carroll Jones: the author of Captain Lenoir's Diary: Tom Lenoir and His Civil War Company from Western North Carolina, The 25th North Carolina Troops in the Civil War, and Rooted Deep in the Pigeon Valley. Learn about the local civil war history with him.
- 4:00 p.m. – Johnnie Sue Myers: the author of Cherokee cookbook The Gathering Place. Learn the recipes and the history of Cherokee cuisine.