Agritourism takes root in Haywood County
Buy Haywood is currently collecting listings for the "Find your Adventure! 2014 Haywood County Agritourism Guide" (formerly known as the Farm Map & Brochure).
Buy Haywood’s agritourism guide is designed to appeal to a vibrant and diverse traveler — highlighting the rich farming and agricultural heritage of our county.
unique and popular publication crisscrosses Haywood County offering year-round opportunities to explore many agritourism adventures — including sampling local ingredients reinterpreted in new and innovative ways by “Farm to Table” restaurants.
Most importantly agritourism, as an enterprise, presents economic opportunities to generate additional income and supports greater financial security for participating partners.
Buy Haywood is currently looking for listings featuring Haywood County sites that include:
• Farms that accept visitors (even seasonally or "by appointment");
• Plant nurseries and landscaping businesses retailing stock that has been propagated in Haywood County;
• Value-added and specialty retail stores featuring products with Haywood County grown ingredients;
• “Farm to Table” restaurants and “local flavor” entertainment spots supporting local products consistently throughout the growing season by featuring Haywood County ingredients in their menu items—including products grown or raised by chefs/restaurants as well as products purchased from local farms/growers and farmer markets.
• Local breweries featuring Haywood County hops or local food items;
• Sites and organizations dedicated to preservation of our rich agriculture heritage;
• Farmers markets, roadside stands, tailgates and on-farm markets that retail Haywood County grown/produced products (can operate seasonally);
• Other farming/agriculture related or educational opportunities;
• Local festivals/events with a farming or agriculture related theme.
To request an application, contact: Tina Masciarelli, Buy Haywood project coordinator, at 734-9574 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with BUY HAYWOOD in the subject line.
The deadline is at 5 p.m., Friday, Feb. 7.