August Healthy Tips & Opps
Monthly Healthy Tips
“Your health is what you eat," says Walter Willett, M.D. (nutrition expert). His food advice is to include: healthy whole grain, high- fiber sources of carbohydrates; healthy vegetable oil; less red meat; more protein from nuts, beans; modest amounts of poultry and fish; plenty of fruits and vegetables; one or two servings of dairy per day; less sugar-sweetened beverages.
(Source: Consumer Reports on Health, July, 2012)
Pick one culprit from your current diet and substitute a healthy item from Dr. Willett’s list.
- FITNESS CHALLENGE REGISTRATION Update!
Registration runs from October 1st – October 5th
- Monday October 1– Urban Athletics (8am-7pm)
- Tuesday October 2 – Waynesville Recreation Center (8am-7pm) KICKOFF
- Wednesday October 3 – MedWest Health & Fitness Center (8am-7pm)
- Thursday October 4 – Cooperative Extension (8am-7pm)
- Friday October 5 – The Fitness Connection (10am-4pm)
- COST – Only $10.00
- All Ages
- 24 visits in 6 weeks
The FITNESS CHALLENGE begins October 1st & last through November 11th
- FREE Health Screenings and More! Healthy Living for a Lifetime™ IN HAYWOOD COUNTY
Brought to You by the North Carolina Farm Bureau
Wednesday, September 5, 2012 / Screenings From: 10 AM - 6 PM / Location: Haywood County Health Department (Old Wal-Mart) 157 Paragon Parkway Clyde, NC 28721
Screenings Offered: Cholesterol, Blood Glucose, Blood Pressure, BodyMass Index, Bone Density, and Vascular Ultrasound* / At least 8 hours fasting recommended, not required
- Qi Gong/Yoga/Pilates Fusion class - Monday evenings at The Fitness Connection. 60 S. Main St. Waynesville from 5:30pm-6:30pm
- Blood Drives
1. Monday, Aug. 20 at Waynesville Masonic Lodge, noon - 4:30 p.m.; 456-8141
2. Sunday, Aug. 26 / Canton's Central United Methodist Church, 34 Church St., noon- 5 p.m.; 550-0990
3. Wednesday, Aug. 29 / MedWest Fitness Center, 75 Leroy George, Clyde, noon - 4:30 p.m.; 452-8089
- Teen Parenting Support Group is for parents under 20 who are pregnant or who have already had a child(ren). TPSG is designed to educate young moms and dads about basic parenting skills, resources available in the community, as well as link them to other teen parents. While supplies last incentive items are offered for attending, such as diapers, wipes, and safety materials weekly. Held weekly at Blue Ridge Books in Waynesville on Thursdays from 5:30-6:30. Please park on the street next to Blue Ridge Books. Call Stephanie with Kids Advocacy Resource Effort-K.A.R.E. for more information 456-8995 ext 205.
- A series of films addressing the Health and Well Being of individuals, our communities and our planet will be presented at Discovery Wellness through the Maggie Valley Club Activities Program. Following each showing will be an optional discussion circle. This series is being offered as a community service and is FREE! RSVP Carol @ 550-4440.
This month’s film: "Beauty Mark" / Thursday, August 23rd @ 7:30pm /
In this film, Diane Israel, a Boulder based psychotherapist and former champion triathlete, talks candidly about her life long struggle with eating disorders and obsessive exercising. Fearlessly confronting her own painful past, she shares her story of coming to terms with American cultures unhealthy fixation on self destructive ideas of beauty and competiveness.
- Maggie Valley Moonlight 8K (4.8 miles) on Sat., Aug. 25, 8:30 p.m. at M.V. Fairgrounds + Sunset Fun Run/Walk within fairgrounds at 7:30: www.maggievalleymoonlightrun.com
- Bicycle the Blue Ridge Breakaway - Sat., Aug 18 at Lake Junaluska has four options: century, metric century, 40 miles, 24 miles; active.com or www.blueridgebreakaway.com
- Hot August Night 5K - Sat., Aug. 18, 7 p.m. at Montford Rec Center, 34 Pearson Dr., Asheville: www.active.com
- Walking Program for those w/arthritis - Waynesville Rec Center on Tuesdays & Thursdays, 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 1 – 2 p.m.; 456-2030 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cardio Dance Fusion at Waynesville Rec Center, M-W-F, 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.: 456-2030 or email email@example.com
- EZ Stretching & Chair Exercise at Waynesville Towers, 65 Church St., Waynesville, Tuesdays, 2 – 3:15 p.m. 456-3952
- Qi Gong/Yoga/Pilates - At The Creative Thought Center of Waynesville, Mondays & Thursdays, noon - 1 p.m.: 456-9697 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit eating and exercise website: www.letsmove.gov
Brought to you by HEALTHY HAYWOOD’S Healthy Living Action Team. Special thanks to BUD DIRSCHERL - Member who plays a key role in completion of Tips & Opps.
Want to post a monthly Fitness Opportunity?