December Healthy Tips & Opps
Give a holiday gift that encourages good health. It can be clothing, gear or a gym membership that fosters physical activity. Perhaps the best dollar-free gift is a family commitment to improved health. Be inspired by others and inspire others to be healthy.
Join family or friends three times every week - in calorie-burning activities during the calorie-laden holiday season.
Monthly Healthy Opportunities
- INSPIRATION of the Month – Healthy Haywood is looking for inspiring people of any age in Haywood County who influence others to aspire to be healthy through their own healthy choices. You can nominate them for their hard work and determination / Contact Steffie Duginske / 452-6675 ext 2272
- Aqua Zumba – Join Haywood County’s first Aqua Zumba class. It is a fitness pool party! This class adapts Zumba Fitness dance rhythms to the water / Waynesville Recreation Center / Al Rowe, Instructor
- Tuesday - 9:00 am and 6:45pm
- Thursday - 9:00 am and 6:45pm
- Saturday - 9:00 am
- Wii, X-Box and Brain Bikes - Wednesday 10 am-12 / SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER, 81 Elmwood Way, Waynesville / FREE instruction with Bruce, or open daily 10-4
- Thursday Hiking - Some experience / 5-6 miles / $6. plus lunch / camera / dogs welcome / Beverly 926-7630
Coordinated through SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER, 81 Elmwood Way, Waynesville
- Wellness Works - Pilot program in February, 2013 / Features 12 sessions per month (3 per week) / Personal goal setting, group support, wellness activities (with a leader) covering 3 components of fitness: Endurance, Strength and Flexibility / Nutrition Education Included / $30 for first 20 signups / A program of Healthy Haywood/Haywood County Health Department / 452-6675 ext. 2272 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Blood Drives -
- New Covenant Church / 833 Lee Road Canton / Sunday, December 9 / 9am - 1:30pm / 627-9000
- Waynesville Masonic Lodge / East Marshall Street / Monday December 10 / Noon - 4:30pm / 452-9586
- Canton Central United Methodist Church / 34 Church St. / Sunday December 16 / Noon-5pm / 550-6853
- Maggie Valley United Methodist Church / 4192 Soco Road / Tuesday, December 18 / 2 – 6pm / 926-8036
- MedWest Fitness Center / 75 Leroy George Road Waynesville / Friday December 21 / 1 - 5:30pm www.redcrossblood.org or 1-800-redcross
- Franklin NC Greenway 5K Run/Walk – Saturday December 15 / 10am / 524-6467
online at active.com or email email@example.com
- MedWest Fitness Center Holiday Promotion - Waives $50 individual initiation fee from December 17 – January 11 IF you register for a six-month membership during the period / fee waiver is $75 for couples / $100 for families / 452-8082
- Flu shots - At Home Care service building on MedWest campus behind hospital / Monday-Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm / 452-8292 / $20 or Medicare coverage
- Walking Program for those with Arthritis - At Waynesville Rec Center on Tuesday & Thursday
10:30 - 11:30am & 1 -2pm / 452-2030 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waynesville Disc Golf GLOW - Singles at Waynesville Rec Park / Mondays / 6pm / random draw doubles / 10am on Saturdays / Meet at picnic shelter beside softball field / www.waynesvillediscgolf.org
- Qi Gong/Yoga/Pilates - Classes at Waynesville Creative Thought Center on Mondays & Thursdays
Noon – 1:00pm / 456-9697 or email email@example.com
- Check out Waynesville Rec Center Opps - recprograms@townof waynesville.org or 456-2030
- E-Z Stretching & Chair Exercise - Waynesville Towers / 65 Church Street / Tuesdays 2 - 3:15pm
- Kids After School Opps at Waynesville Rec Center - Monday – Thursdays / 3:30 – 6pm /
456-2030 or youthprogramsupervisor@ townofwaynesville.org
- Laughter Yoga Club - Waynesville Senior Resource Center / 81 Elmwood Way / Tuesdays 2 – 3pm / 452-2370
- Happy Wanderers Senior Group - Haywood County Parks & Recreation / 452-6789
- Girls On The Run 5K - At UNC Asheville / Saturday / December 8 / 11am / zumba, photo booth, massage, raffles / www.gotrwnc.org
- MedWest Group Personal Training - For 2-5 participants / 30 or 45-minute sessions / 452-8099
75 LeRoy George Drive Waynesville
- Outdoors Calendar -Weekly listing in Asheville Citizen-Times newspaper
- Visit healthy websites - fitness.usatoday.com; moveforwardpt.com/fitafter50
- TOBACCO USERS – This holiday season, give the gift of “a commitment to quitting” to your family, friends, and loved ones. Tobacco use is the number one preventable cause of death. Need help, call QuitlineNC at 1-800-784-8669 or access online at www.quitlinenc.com
- CVS MinuteClinic Now Available in Waynesville - 733 Russ Avenue Waynesville / 452-2230 / MinuteClinic is a division of CVS Caremark Corporation and offers access to high-quality medical treatment. Most health insurance is accepted. For patients paying cash or credit, treatment prices are posted at each clinic and on www.minuteclinic.com. The cost for most services starts at $79. The clinics are staffed by nurse practitioners and physician assistants who specialize in family health care and can diagnose, treat and write prescriptions for common family illnesses such as strep throat and ear, eye, sinus, bladder and bronchial infections. Minor wounds, abrasions, skin conditions and joint sprains are treated. MinuteClinic also administers a series of wellness services designed to help consumers identify lifestyle changes needed to improve their current and future health, including screenings and monitoring for diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The clinics operate seven days a week, including weekday evenings, and no appointment is necessary.
- The winter season is a time of joy and excitement. But sometimes, all the baking, buying, and burning the midnight oil can also make it feel frenzied. Here are a few helpful tips to make this season a peaceful one for you and your family:
- Keep children physically active - Physical activity is one of the most effective ways to reduce stress and ensure your child has a good night's rest. No matter how busy your holiday schedule becomes, try not to cancel out active play time.
- Limit optional events - While there are the things you absolutely must attend, such as a holiday recital or the preschool class party, it may be helpful to set limits to how many events you go to this season. Cut back to relieve unnecessary stress and focus on what makes this time of year so special: spending time with family and loved ones.
- Make your home a sanctuary - With the overwhelming stimulation of the outside world during the holiday season, set aside "quiet time" with your family every evening. Read inspiring stories, play games and simply be together as a family.
- Resolution 5K Run – LOOKING AHEAD – January 1 / 2pm / Asheville Biltmore Forest Park at S. Forest Ingles, Hendersonville Road / www.ashevilletrackclub.org
Brought to you by HEALTHY HAYWOOD’S Healthy Living Action Team. Special thanks to BUD DIRSCHERL - Member who plays a key role in completion of Tips & Opps
FIND US ON FACEBOOK
Use FACEBOOK - Connect with others interested in health.
Share resources while keeping up with events & programs offered in and around the county.
Want to post a monthly Fitness Opportunity?