First Baptist Church Celebrating 190 Years
Waynesville – First Baptist Church will celebrate Heritage Day on Sunday, August 4. The church will commemorate 190 years of continual ministry in the community by holding a covered dish luncheon immediately following the 11:00am Worship Service. Prior to the 11:00am Worship Service and following the luncheon, a special video will be presented in the sanctuary featuring longtime members. The church will also recognize living members who joined the church 50 or more years ago. Rev. Dr. Robert Prince, Senior Pastor invites all members, former members and their families to attend. The church was constituted on August 1, 1823 and the first meeting place was a log structure on the east bank of Richland Creek, near the present bridge which crosses Commerce Street to Smathers Street and also near the large rock just above the bridge. Robert Love gave the property to the church on August 6, 1825. The first pastor of the church is identified as Joseph Byers.