Francis Cove UMC to celebrate 43rd homecoming
The 43rd annual homecoming service of Francis Cove United Methodist Church will be at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, July 20. A covered dish meal will follow at noon and the community is invited.
Dr. John Rutland will deliver the morning sermon and special music will be presented by members of the Francis Cove Choir.
Francis Cove is known for its friendly welcome to Sunday morning guests, adult Sunday School and a strong United Methodist Women’s group, along with a deep commitment to local missions of mercy including The Open Door, Bethel Elementary School, Haywood Christian Ministry and an annual Community Garden to help feed those in need.
For many years, nearby residents came to the corner of Pigeon Road and Crymes Cove Road by horse or on foot to a log cabin built in 1846 for Sunday morning services and a Sunday school program. The land was given by Wayne Battle, the son of Holaman Battle, one of the founders and leaders in the development of Haywood County.
In 1924, the county Board of Education built a one-room brick building which became a church and community meeting house. A union Sunday School of Methodists, Baptists and Presbyterians was organized with preachers coming from larger churches in town on a rotating basis.
In the early 1950s, members applied to the Western North Carolina Annual Conference to become a Methodist congregation, and the first minister was appointed to the Hazelwood-Francis Cove charge in 1952. The current sanctuary building was completed two years later and additional land was donated for the church that now sits on an acre. A large fellowship hall, kitchen, new restrooms and an open air pavilion were added in recent years. Many descendents of the church’s charter members are active at the church today. Nearby is the historic Francis Grist Mill.
The church is located at 2530 Crymes Cove Road, Waynesville. Call 452-9791 for information.