Haywood County offers four Pre-K classes
Haywood County Schools will offer four Pre-Kindergarten classes designed to serve four-year-old children for the 2013-2014 school year. This program will provide educational experiences for children prior to entry into kindergarten. These experiences will enhance the development of skills important for school readiness.
PreK Centers are located at the following schools:
Central Elementary School
Hazelwood Elementary School
Jonathan Valley Elementary School
Meadowbrook Elementary School
Parents are welcome to request a particular PreK Center; however, the request does not guarantee a child’s placement at that center.
To be considered for PreK placement, a child will be screened for school readiness using a developmental assessment. The assessment is a series of activities which create a picture of your child's language, cognitive and motor development based on age. A parent may supply additional information which will be helpful in considering placement of your child. To determine if a child is eligible for the Pre-K program for school year 2013-14, a child must complete the Pre-K screening process.
Children will be ranked according to a points-system and those with the greatest need will be selected.
Interested parents/guardians are invited to contact 456-2400, ext. 2109 to register a child for screening.
Basic eligibility requirements are:
1) A child must be four years old on or before Aug. 31, 2013.
2) If your child is selected, he/she must meet the initial entry requirements of public school: certified birth certificate, immunization record, and physical.
3) A commitment must be made by parents/guardians to take an active role in their child's education through a partnership with the school.
4) Parents must comply with the Pre-K attendance policy.
5) Parents must comply with the Parental Agreement signed by all parents.
6) The parent is responsible for the child's transportation to and from class.
7) A Pre-K child is not eligible to attend the "latch-key" program at any school site.
Parents who have registered a child for a screening will be notified as to the days, times, and locations of the screening.