Help by donating blood in December
The American Red Cross asks donors to “Give Something That Means Something” for a chance to win a $1,000 gift card useable toward gas, rent, food or tickets to a favorite concert or sporting event.
“Donating blood is an opportunity for people to give the most important gift of all, the ‘Gift of Life,’” said Delisa English, chief executive officer, American Red Cross, Carolinas Blood Services Region. “The Red Cross depends on the generosity of volunteer donors to meet the needs of patients in our area and across the country.”
The Red Cross Carolinas Blood Services Region provides lifesaving blood to patients in 103 hospitals. Approximately 1,600 people need to give blood or platelets each weekday to meet hospital demands.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities include:
• 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9 — New Covenant Church Blood Drive (833 Lee Road, Canton). Contact Deborah Martin at 627-9000 f to schedule an appointment.
• Noon to 4:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 10 — Waynesville Masonic Lodge Blood Drive (East Marshall Street, Waynesville). Call 452-9586 to schedule an appointment.
• Noon to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 16 —Tye Blanton Foundation Blood Drive at Central United Methodist Church (34 Church St., Canton)
Call 550-6853 to schedule an appointment. The blood drive is in memory of trooper Shawn Blanton and Tye Blanton.
• 2 to 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 18 — Maggie Valley United Methodist Church Blood Drive (4192 Soco Road, Maggie Valley). Call 926-8036 to schedule an appointment.
• 1 to 5:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 21 — MedWest Haywood Fitness Center Blood Drive (75 Leroy George Road, Clyde). To schedule an appointment go to www.redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-REDCROSS.
Blood can be safely donated every 56 days. Platelets can be given every seven days, up to 24 times a year. Most healthy people who are 17 years of age, 16 with parental consent, and weigh at least 110 pounds are eligible to donate blood or platelets to the Red Cross. Donors who are 18 years and younger must also meet specific height and weight requirements.
To schedule an appointment to donate, call 1-800-RED CROSS (800) 733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org.