Holiday Volunteer Opportunities
Take some time out of your busy holiday season and assist someone — it is like giving you and them a gift! Here is a list of opportunities. Give the volunteer center a call if you can help.
- Foster Grandparents — help a preschool or elementary-age child; stipend available if you meet guidelines.
- The Community Kitchen — looking for cooks, servers and assistance with fundraisers.
- The Open Door — assistance in the dining room/kitchen, thrift shop and food pantry.
- Meals on Wheels — need drivers to fill routes; need secretary for Friends.
- Circle of Hope — needs mentors and people to serve on committees and help with new programs.
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters — in need of Big Brothers and Sisters in the community and school programs.
- Guardian ad Litem — be an advocate in the court system for children who are abused or neglected.
- REACH of Haywood County — needs hotline volunteers and thrift store workers.
- Haywood Regional Medical Center Auxilliary — needs help at the front desk and also needs patient escorts.
- Haywood Christian Ministry — receive donations of clothing and goods during 4-hour shifts.
- Sarge's Animal Rescue — needs transport drivers, foster homes for cats and dogs and office help.
- Friends of the Smokies — help with outreach programs.
- STAR Ranch — help care for abused horses and assist with homeless cats.
- Haywood Waterways Association — needs assistance with collecting water samples.
- Barium Springs — needs mentors for youth.
- Pigeon Community Development Center — help with transportation and assist children with reading and math.
- Special Olympics — needs coaches and mentors.
- Good Samaritan Clinic — needs front desk office help.
- Haywood Chamber of Commerce — needs help working at the office.
- Haywood County Public Library — an assortment of jobs are available throughout the library.
- The Great Laurels of Junaluska — assist with odd and ends projects for residents.
- Smoky Mountain Health Care & Rehab Center — assist with a variety of activities.
- Haywood County TDA Visitor Center — looking for assistance to man centers and greet people.
- Haywood Chamber of Commerce — needs volunteers to man phones and greet customers.
- Pathways Thrift Store — needs help with processing items and also needs clerks.
- KARE, Inc. — needs help with light reception and mornings and needs assistance with the Personal Safety Program.
- Healthy Haywood — partner to keep the county healthy.
- The Arc of Haywood County — needs help with facility maintenance and office work.
- Habitat for Humanity — needs help building houses and help at the Habitat Store.
- Autumn Care — sit with a friend and teach a craft to the seniors.
- Haywood Spay/Neuter — needs help in the office and spay/neuter on-site transport help (loading, unloading assisting clients, prepping crates) and trap-neuter-return.
- American Youth Soccer Organization — needs referees, line painters and concession stand volunteers.
- Haywood County Arts Council — volunteer at Gallery 86 (shifts from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 5 p.m.).
- Bethel Rural Community Organization — man the food bank pantry for the needy every second Wednesday of the month.
- HRMC Hospice — help is needed with a new program, Vet to Vet.
As part of the Retired and Senior Volunteer Program, if you are more than 55 years of age, you can receive a limited amount of mileage coverage and supplementary insurance while you are volunteering.
For more information, call John at the volunteer center at 356-2833.