Lisa James begins long road to recovery

By Caroline Klapper | Jan 03, 2013
Photo by: Vicki Hyatt Lisa James Was involved in a car accident in December and is still recovering at Mission Hospital.

Haywood Christian Ministries Director Lisa James is still in the hospital after a serious accident left her severely injured less than two weeks before Christmas.

Although James has been moved from the intensive care unit into the trauma ward at Mission Hospital, her condition is still listed as serious.

“We’re all rooting for Lisa,” said HCM Assistant Director Rusty Wallace, who has been moved up to full time in the wake of the accident. “We’re also praying for her daily. We’ve got the entire ministry praying daily.”

The accident occurred around 8 a.m. Friday, Dec. 14 on Stevenson Cove Road in Waynesville. Trooper Steve Allen with the N.C. Highway Patrol said witnesses told him James had parked her car in the road and was getting something out of the back seat when another driver hit her from behind.

James was taken to Mission Hospital where she has since had seven surgeries to address the numerous injuries, including the most severe to her hip.

While her condition remains serious, Wallace said she is conscious and able to speak.

“She’s alert and in good spirits,” he said. “She’s already talking in terms of making a good recovery. She’s looking forward to getting back, but it will be a long-term process. She’s got a long haul.”

James’ sister, Sharon Dixon, has been at the hospital every day since the accident, and she said things are looking up with James already working on standing and putting pressure on the injured leg.

“She’s actually doing really good,” Dixon said. “They’re talking about sending her to rehab within a couple of weeks. They are expecting her to recover and be able to walk like she would normally.”

Rehab will probably last until about mid-March, and Dixon said her sister has already set a recovery deadline for herself of April 1 — her birthday.

“She’s in good spirits, but believe me, she is wanting to go back to HCM,” Dixon said, adding James is allowed to have visitors now and would love to see her friends.

While James recovers, HCM’s board has named former Director John Berrong as temporary director of the organization.

Wallace added that James told him to pass along her thanks to those who have prayed for her recovery.

“She said it’s a miracle she’s doing so well,” he said.