Matters of the heart: HRMC Center Hosts Chest Pain Event and Accreditation Celebration
Haywood Regional Medical Center is hosting a chest pain educational event and accreditation celebration on Thursday, Feb. 23, from 3 p.m. at the Haywood Regional Health & Fitness Center in the classrooms.
The event will be celebrating the recent accreditation of Haywood Regional as a Chest Pain Center and offering educational activities to promote awareness of signs and symptoms of a heart attack, screenings, CPR education, and more. This event is free of charge and open to the public.
To become an Accredited Chest Pain Center, Haywood Regional Medical Center engaged in rigorous evaluation by SCPC for its ability to assess, diagnose and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack. Chest Pain Center accreditation improves care by enhancing coordination among all providers involved in the patient’s care: emergency responders, local EMS, our hospital ED team, the critical care unit and cardiac rehab. To Western North Carolina, this means that processes are in place that meet strict criteria aimed at:
- Reducing the time from onset of symptoms to diagnosis and treatment
- Treating patients more quickly during the critical window of time when the integrity of the heart muscle can be preserved
- Monitoring patients when it is not certain that they are having a heart attack to ensure that they are not sent home too quickly or needlessly admitted to the hospital
Activities at this event will include:
- Hands-only CPR education with demos and mannequins
- Educational booth - Haywood EMS
- Signs & Symptoms of a Heart Attack education
- Heart Health education – diet / exercise / stress reduction
- Don’t Drive – Stay Alive
- Representatives of Western Carolina Cardiology
- Meet cardiac survivors
- Health Screenings (BMI, BP)
- Tele-stroke robot
Keynote speakers will be Rod Harkleroad, RN, MMHC - Chief Executive Officer, Abby Fairbanks, MPH – American Heart Association, Kim Chidester – You’re The Cure / American Heart Association.
“Chest Pain Center accreditation improves care by enhancing coordination among all providers involved in the patient’s care: emergency responders, local EMS, our hospital ED team, the critical care unit and cardiac rehab,” said Susan Odom, MSN, RN, CCRN, NE-BC, ED Director at Haywood Regional. “The new accreditation emphasizes our organization’s clinical abilities to provide prompt and appropriate care to patients who visit our hospital with chest pain.”
In addition to this event, Haywood Regional will be hosting pop-up education/screening events throughout the community each Tuesday and Thursday from Feb. 7 – March 2 from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. which will include screenings, signs & symptoms of a heart attack, Stay Alive – Don’t Drive, hands only CPR information, and more. Visit MyHaywoodRegional.com/popup or call 800.424.DOCS (3627) for scheduled locations.
For more information about the event, please visit: MyHaywoodRegional.com/cpevent or call 800.424.DOCS (3627)