Tuscola-Pisgah Soccer

Melville’s girls beat Pisgah, but lose to Mustangs

Black Bears at Tuscola rematch will be at Weatherby Stadium Monday
By Dennis Smathers | Apr 20, 2017
Photo by: Sherry Swaim Tuscola’s Hayley Ramsey and Pisgah’s Alex Proben, 18, battle for possession of the ball.

The Tuscola varsity girls soccer team split its last two WNC Athletic Conference road matches as the Mountaineers continued their dominance over rival Pisgah Tuesday night at Memorial Stadium in Canton, beating the Black Bears, 2-0.
However, Tuscola was stunned with its first loss in the WNCAC by Smoky Mountain as the Mustangs beat the Mountaineers, 2-1, in Sylva Wednesday evening.
Tuscola’s WNCAC record stands at 8-1-0 and 9-6-0 overall. Smoky Mountain (14-2-0) improved to 8-2-0 in the conference and Pisgah dropped to 0-7-0 in the WNCAC and 2-10-0 overall.
“Anytime you can get a win over your main rival, you have to be pleased,” said Tuscola Head Coach Erik Melville. “It wasn’t our cleanest or crispest performance by any stretch. But for the first match after spring break, it wasn’t too bad.
“It was important to get an early lead to make our domination of possession pay off. Had the match gone scoreless for a long time, Pisgah would have gained confidence. And to get another goal before halftime really gave us total control.
“Joe (Pinkston) has done an excellent job of setting them up to stay in matches as much as possible, instead of pushing for goals that could leave them exposed in the back and they should be proud of the effort they gave.”
Against Pisgah, Tuscola took a 1-0 lead when sophomore Jade Monday played a through ball to senior Mary Rachel Carter, who fired the ball into the back of the net past Pisgah goalkeeper Kelsey Fox just 13 minutes into the match (13:30).
Carter scored again, earning a “brace,” when she gained possession of the ball from a Pisgah defender, sending a shot into the Pisgah’s goal (24:45) to give the Mountaineers a 2-0 lead.
Pisgah got off seven shots during the match, however, were unable to score. Fox recorded 11 saves, while Tuscola goalkeeper Sarah Swaim made five saves during the match.
It did not take a shootout to determine the winner in the second meeting with Smoky Mountain at Carr Hooper Stadium/Babe Howell Field.
It took just 80 minutes of regulation.
The Mustangs took a 1-0 lead when Anna Morgan sailed the ball into the top right corner of the net past Swaim’s fingers at the 10-minute mark.
The Mountaineers tied the score at one 40 minutes later when Lauren Singleton connected with Mary Rachel Carter, who planted the ball into the back of Smoky’s net.
With 10 minutes remaining in the match, Smoky’s Taylor Douthit fired a curving corner kick into the goal for the eventual match winning goal.
Smoky Mountain’s goalkeeper Lucy Miller recorded nine saves and Swaim finished with 10 saves.
The Mountaineers will get a rematch with Pisgah on Monday at C.E Weatherby. Local radion  station WPTL will stream the broadcast of the soccer rivalry. To listen, go to the following website (www.wptlradio.net) or download the App.