November Healthy Tips & Opps
Monthly Healthy Tip
Keep your fitness momentum going and pledge to maintain healthy habits AFTER the Fitness Challenge. In this Election Day week, elect (yourself) to get and stay healthy -- to have a quality life. Join a local facility or develop a routine that addresses the three elements of fitness -- strength, endurance and flexibility.
Get out your Fitness Challenge (FC) booklet and look at page 2. Answer the questions and use/modify this page to continue your forever challenge. Seek advice at a FC facility and check out websites to vary your activities and nutrition.
Monthly Healthy Opportunities
- FITNESS CHALLENGE ENDS November 11th – Ask your favorite gym or class if they will be offering discounts to FC participants. For example:
The Waynesville Recreation Center is offering 10% off an annual membership from November 12th through the 18th for Fitness Challenge participants. (must show card). There are also DISCOUNTS for belly dancers at RAQS BELEDI - They will be offering 20% off ALL class packages and gift certificates from Nov.1 - Nov.24.
- Healthy Taste of Haywood – Final FITNESS CHALLENGE Event
The fifth annual / Thursday, November 8 / 5:30 to 6:30pm / Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center/HARRELL CENTER / Event offers FC participants the chance to see several healthy nutrition options offered at various local restaurants and farmers markets throughout the county / Healthy Taste participants must show their Fitness Challenge card to participate in this event.
- Flat out Fall 5K – Saturday November 10 / Waynesville Middle School / 7:30-8:45am Registration & Packet Pick-up / 9am Run/Walk begins / John Chicoine email@example.com or 356-2833
Proceeds benefit Haywood Jackson Volunteer Center / Pre-registration cost = $20 / Day of Race = $25 Discount for Fitness Challenge participants - $10 Pre-registration / $15 Day of Race
For Discount: Mail in’s must photo copy FC card / Day of race participants must show FC card
- INSPIRATION of the Month – Healthy Haywood is looking for inspiring people of any age in Haywood County who influence others to aspire to be healthy through their own healthy choices. You can nominate them for their hard work and determination / Contact Steffie Duginske / 452-6675 ext 2272
- Tai Chi Classes - TUESDAY’S and FRIDAY’S / Beginning on November 13 / 3:30 pm-4:30 pm / SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER, 81 Elmwood Way, Waynesville / Certified Instructor, Susan Livengood / Class is for beginners / 452-2370 to make your reservation / $4.00
- Aqua Zumba – Join Haywood County’s first Aqua Zumba class. It is a fitness pool party! This class adapts Zumba Fitness dance rhythms to the water / Waynesville Recreation Center / Al Rowe, Instructor
- Tuesday - 9:00 am and 6:45pm
- Thursday - 9:00 am and 6:45pm
- Saturday - 9:00 am
- Wii, X-Box and Brain Bikes - Wednesday 10 am-12 / SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER, 81 Elmwood Way, Waynesville / FREE instruction with Bruce, or open daily 10-4
- Thursday Hiking - Some experience / 5-6 miles / $6. plus lunch / camera / dogs welcome / Beverly 926-7630
Coordinated through SENIOR RESOURCE CENTER, 81 Elmwood Way, Waynesville
- Cooking Local - DEMONSTRATION & NUTRITION SEMINAR / Thursday, November 15 / 10:30am-12 noon / Adult Education Department - Classroom 335-B & Classroom 380 / RSVP: Tina Masciarelli at 565-4182 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wellness Works - Pilot program in February, 2013 / Features 12 sessions per month (3 per week) / Personal goal setting, group support, wellness activities (with a leader) covering 3 components of fitness: Endurance, Strength and Flexibility / Nutrition Education Included / $30 for first 20 signups / A program of Healthy Haywood/Haywood County Health Department / 452-6675 ext. 2272 or email@example.com
- Pisgah Pavement Pounder 5K - Pisgah H. S., 1 Black Bear Dr. Canton / Saturday November 17 /
8:30am / Benefits under privileged students / Jennifer at 828-646-3440, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diamond Brand Women's Hiking Group - Meets 3rd Saturday of each month / email@example.com or 684-6262
- Blood Drive - Crabtree United Methodist Church - 5405 Crabtree Rd. Clyde / Saturday November 10 /
8:30am – 1pm / 627-3666
- More Blood Drives - Center Pigeon Fire Dept. / Monday November 19 OR Waynesville Senior Resource Center Wednesday November 21 / redcrossblood.com
- Jingle Bell 5K Run/Walk - Montford Recreation Center / 34 Pearson Drive Asheville / December 1st / 10am / Benefits Arthritis Foundation / firstname.lastname@example.org or jinglebellrunasheville.kintera.org
- Friends of the Smokies Hike - Hyatt Ridge Trail Loop / Thursday November 15 / 452-0720 or email@example.com
- Healthy You Health Screening – FREE at Senior Resource Center - 81 Elmwood Way / Wednesday November 14 / 10am – 2pm / Testing includes glucose, bone density, heel pain, BMI, blood pressure + other health information for breast cancer, breathing issues, Meals-On-Wheels, stroke & heart issues / 452-2370
- At Home Exercises Ideas - squats, pushups, crunches, planks, chin-ups, head-to-toe stretching, jump-roping, stair-climbing, stretch-banding, leg-raises, arm twirls, running-in-place, toe/leg-raises on a step
- Take a walk – BEFORE and AFTER Thanksgiving Dinner
- Walk Perimeter of the Grocery - twice (inside or outside), BEFORE shopping
- Some Resources –
Want to post a monthly Fitness Opportunity?
FIND US ON FACEBOOK - Use FACEBOOK - Connect with others interested in health.
Brought to you by HEALTHY HAYWOOD’S Healthy Living Action Team, a program of the Haywood County Health Department. Special thanks to BUD DIRSCHERL - Member who plays a key role in completion of Tips & Opps.