October Healthy Tips & Opps
Monthly Healthy Tip
Use the six-week Fitness Challenge (FC) as your first step toward lifetime healthy habits. What will you do after this bargain opportunity is over – maybe take your second (forever) step? Think about it as you visit the facilities that graciously offer you (almost) free entry. Will you be ready to join one of them or take classes? If cost is a barrier, figure out what you can do on your own or with family, friends and co-workers.
Join your family, friends and/or
co-workers in a FC commitment to use lots of punches on your card………
or shoot for all 24!
Monthly Healthy Opportunities
Flat out Fall 5K – Saturday November 10 / Waynesville Middle School / 7:30-8:45am Registration & Packet Pick-up / 9am Run/Walk begins / John Chicoine firstname.lastname@example.org or 356-2833
Proceeds benefit Haywood Jackson Volunteer Center / Pre-registration cost = $20 / Day of Race = $25 Discount for Fitness Challenge participants - $10 Pre-registration / $15 Day of Race
For Discount: Mail in’s must photo copy FC card / Day of race participants must show FC card
The FITNESS CHALLENGE Finally Begins
Registration: October 1st – October 5th / COST – Only $10.00
All Ages / 24 visits in 6 weeks
- Monday October 1– Urban Athletics (8am-7pm)
- Tuesday October 2 – Waynesville Recreation Center (8am-7pm) KICKOFF
- Wednesday October 3 – MedWest Health & Fitness Center (8am-7pm)
- Thursday October 4 – Cooperative Extension (8am-7pm)
- Friday October 5 – The Fitness Connection (10am-4pm)
Fitness Challenge Dates: October 1 -November 11
Center Availability is now online at www.healthyhaywood.org
FC Participants! Consider the FLAT OUT FALL 5K or POWER OF PINK as possible goals to work towards as you exercise through the Fitness Challenge.
- INSPIRATION OF THE MONTH – Healthy Haywood is looking for inspiring people of any age in Haywood County who influence others to aspire to be healthy through their own healthy choices. You can nominate them for their hard work and determination / Contact Steffie Duginske / 452-6675 ext 2272
- Power of Pink – Saturday October 27 / Location: MedWest Health & Fitness Center – Clyde NC / Honor/Memory/Survivor Walk – Approx 1 Mile – 8:45am and Fun Walk/Run 5K – 9:30am / For more details: www.medwesthealth.org / click on Power of Pink icon / There is a discount for Fitness Challenge Participants – Contact Steffie Duginske email@example.com or call 452-6675 ext 2272 The Power of Pink is an annual event which raises money to provide early breast cancer detection and follow-up testing for women in Haywood County who are underserved.
- Freedom from Smoking - Medwest Health & Fitness Center/ Beginning Tuesday Oct 9th / 6 Tuesdays 2p – 3p / $25 for the course / Contact Kathy at 452-8089
- Films Series Addressing Health and Well Being - Of individuals, our communities and our planet. Presented at Discovery Wellness through the Maggie Valley Club Activities Program. Following each showing will be an optional discussion circle. This series is being offered as a community service and is FREE! RSVP Carol @ 550-4440.
This month’s film / Temple Grandin" / Thursday October 25th @ 7:30pm
This film portrays an overview of the life of Colorado State University professor Temple Grandin Phd, who, as a child, was diagnosed as autistic. Her story is uplifting and inspiring, bringing to life new possibilities concerning this growing population within our society today.
- www.FOODDAY.org You must check out this site! An exciting resource! Attached are Healthy Halloween Tips!
- Tennis Competition -According to skill level / Adults Only / Marshall St. Courts, Waynesville / Check the court-side bulletin board for details/times
- Bethel 1/2 Marathon & 5K Run – Saturday October 13 / Bethel Middle School / Register online at imathlete.com or www.bethelrural.org
- Pour Le Pink 5K Walk/Run – Benefits breast health in Highlands / Saturday Oct 6 / 9a.m. www.highlandscashiershospital.org or 828-526-1313
- Smoky Streak 5K & 10K Runs - Saturday October 6 / 9 & 9:30 a.m. / In Sylva with start/finish @ Webster Baptist Church / Benefits free mammograms www.medwesthealth.org
- Hike w/Carolina Mtn. Club - Full day on Wednesdays & Saturdays / ½ day on Sundays www.carolinamountainclub.org
- Alzheimer’s Assoc. Walk - Lake Junaluska / Sunday Oct. 7 / 1 p.m.
www.alz.org/walk or 800-272-3900
- Seniors Tennis - At Marshall St. Courts, Waynesville / M-W-F / 8:30am - 11:30
- Tennis Lessons - Through Waynesville Parks & Rec.
Pro Bunnie Allare firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or 456-2030
- Thursday Bicycle Rides - 8-12 miles / Start at Rolls Rite Bicycles, Old Ashville Hwy. in Waynesville / 5:30 p.m. / 276-6080
- Take a Kid Mtn. Biking Day – Saturday October 6 / 9am / Hosted by Bryson City Bicycles / 157 Everett St. / Ages 6 - 16 in Great Smky Mtns. Natl. Park / Games/Prizes/Refreshments / 828-488-1988
- SK8 JAM – Saturday October 6 / Cherokee SK8Park / Noon / Competition/Prizes / 828-400-1252 or 828-452-4040
- Disc Golf - Waynesville Recreation Center / Singles on Monday at 6pm / Doubles on Saturday at 10am Meet at picnic shelter / www.waynesvillediscgolf.org
- Senior & Fit 12-week Program - Waynesville Recreation Center / 11am – Noon / M-W-F / 456-2030
- Walk With Ease – Arthritis Program / Tuesdays, 2 – 3 pm / MedWest Fitness Center / 452-8089
- E-Z Stretching & Chair Exercise Class - Tuesdays at Waynesville Towers / 65 Church Street / 2 - 3:15pm / 456-3952
- If You Choose to Eat at McDonalds / Count your calories on the menu board / Company is voluntarily informing customers before a new regulation is passed
- Volunteer With Friends of the Parkway - Maintenance work for National Park Service blueridgefriends.org
- "Drugs In Our Midst" Family Support Group - October 2, 2012 7 PM / Canton Community Kitchen 98 Pisgah Drive (Hwy 110 South) / Call 828-648-1358 with questions / PURPOSE: To provide a place where family members and close friends of loved ones using drugs can come together to meet with people with similar needs, to offer an opportunity to talk and find healing in a confidential, safe, and caring. Atmosphere.
Brought to you by HEALTHY HAYWOOD’S Healthy Living Action Team. Special thanks to BUD DIRSCHERL - Member who plays a key role in completion of Tips & Opps.
FIND US ON FACEBOOK. Use FACEBOOK - Connect with others interested in health. Share resources while keeping up with events & programs offered in and around the county.
Want to post a monthly Fitness Opportunity?