Scholarship Fashion Show Luncheon To Feature Historical Vignettes
|Lake Junaluska, NC|
|Aug 06, 2012|
Historical vignettes by Margaret McCleskey will be a special feature of the Junaluska Woman’s Club Scholarship Fashion Show Luncheon August 6 beginning at noon in Lambuth Inn. Fashions for the show are from Krismart of Sylva; tickets are $25 and are available by calling Judy Starnes, 452-3548.
Margaret’s father was James W. Fowler, Jr., who was Superintendent of Lake Junaluska Assembly for many years when Margaret was growing up. She and her husband, Bishop Lawrence McCleskey, now make their home here.
The Junaluska Woman’s Club project for the Centennial is the renewal and refurbishing of “Weatherby Memorial Park,” located in the curve at the top of Sequoia and Hagood Streets.
Mr. C. E. Weatherby, a Methodist layman from Faison, NC, was a pioneer in establishing Lake Junaluska Assembly. In fact, as Lay Leader of the North Carolina Conference, Weatherby encouraged great attendance at the opening session in Stuart Auditorium in 1913. He and his wife, Nyda, were among the first to build a home here, which is just across from Sunset Inn on Atkins Loop. A sign in the yard reads: “C. E. Weatherby, c. 1913.”
The Weatherbys built Providence Lodge and commissioned the casting of the Junaluska Bell that is in the tower between Harrell Center and Stuart Auditorium. The Weatherbys gave the land for the park to the Assembly in 1922. Following Mr. Weatherby’s death in 1923 the Junaluska Woman’s Club recommended that the Board of Commissioners name the piece of property “Weatherby Memorial Park.” The Woman’s Club is pleased to recognize this commitment and honor it with the renewal of the park in 2012. Plans yet to be completed include benches to be placed in the park.