Search warrant: teen intended to target 'jocks and rednecks'

By DeeAnna Haney | Apr 23, 2013

The search warrant served on a teen who allegedly threatened to attack Tuscola High School last week reveals there were no guns or active bombs at his home.

Jonathan Matthew Tingle, who goes by his middle name, was arrested last Tuesday after students and parents told authorities he was planning to "commemorate" the Columbine High School massacre on the anniversary of the shooting.

During an interview with school leaders, one student said Tingle had been talking about the shooting for several months. Tingle told him that he planned to carry out the attack on April 19 and warned him not to attend school that day.

At least two students also said the 16-year-old showed them pictures of him with guns that appeared to be a shotgun or rifle and another student told authorities Tingle had mentioned a pipe bomb.

Tingle’s alleged plan was to place bombs in the school trash cans early in the morning with the help of three other friends who are not students, according to the search warrant. He intended to target “rednecks and jocks.”

After executing the search warrant of his Clyde home, officers seized several items including an inert grenade, mask, trench coat, several ball bearings, syringes and "miscellaneous writings." There were no guns, bombs or any items that would be used in the making of an explosive found in the home.

In what appeared to be a writing assignment, Tingle described his admiration and respect for Eric Harris and Dylan Kleibold, the teens behind the shootings at Columbine that left 13 dead and 24 injured on April 20, 1999, according to the warrant. There were also drawing of violent images referencing the attack.

It’s not the first time Tingle has shown signs of aggression and behavior problems. The search warrant points out several instances when he got in trouble for running away from school, leaving campus, profanity, threatening to kill others and communicating threats, which all occurred between September 2012 and February 2013. The warrant does not explain what disciplinary actions were taken by the school.

Tingle also had past encounters with police. In 2007, the then 10-year-old assaulted another boy at a summer camp and a year later stole a handgun from a neighbor’s home. The warrant describes one instance when police took custody of Tingle for a short time because his mother described him as out of control.

During a psychiatric evaluation last week, Tingle denied the allegations that he made the threats, according to the search warrant.

He was arrested and charged with making a false report of mass violence on educational property, which is a felony.

Tingle has been instructed by law enforcement to not attend school until the investigation is complete. He is scheduled to appear in court May 1. As of Tuesday, Tingle was still in custody.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.