Wildfire begins quickly, ends quickly near Jonathan Creek
A fire that broke out off Hemphill Road near Jonathan Creek Wednesday afternoon was contained within a couple hours, thanks to local firefighters.
The fire caught quickly when either a power line broke or a transformer exploded, raining sparks down on the ankle-deep dry leaves, said nearby resident Mike Phillips.
"It was going 50 miles per hour up the hill because the wind was going so fast," he said.
Another nearby resident, Mike Levitt, who was working outside, also said that it was some kind of electrical malfunction.
"I was inside getting a drink of water and then I heard a boom," he said.
But, according to Derwood Sitton of the N.C. Forest Service, firefighters from his agency, Maggie Valley Fire Department and Jonathan Creek Fire Department were quickly on the scene. He said that although it was only a couple hours before the fire was out, there were some homes that were in jeopardy.
"It burned right up to the steps," he said of one cabin.